Multidisciplinarity and extensive methodological training:
The Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science combines multidisciplinary teachings and extensive methodological training. It provides students with a solid background in general culture through social sciences courses and varied introductory classes. Students also acquire technical and specialised competences about Europe.
– Foreign language classes (English, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.)
– Student mobility with the possibility of an exchange semester in a foreign university from the fourth semester;
– Internships and professional development: students must complete one or several internships of eight weeks in total, spread out as they want over the three years of the Bachelor’s Degree. Students receive support for these internships in the form of technical workshops and specific job-focused modules that introduce them to the different careers relied to political science studies.
– A strong knowledge of Europe in all dimensions (economic, political and historical);
– Excellent language skills and a genuinely humanist education;
– A strong capacity for analysis, criticism and argument and a good ability to synthesise.
After completing their Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, students may:
– Continue their studies at ESPOL by enrolling for the Master’s degree in Global and European Politics
– Apply for a Master’s Degree in social and political sciences at an Institute of Political Studies or a university
– Choose to specialise in law, economics, management, history, journalism or communication.
– Go abroad to study
– take public service competitive exams at the European, national or regional level
– Find a job occupation with a local authority, a NGO or an international organisation.
Our Master’s programme in Global and European Politics is an advanced training programme focused on the regulation of contemporary societies in a globalized world. There have been important shifts in the locus of governance, towards the European and global levels, as national governments are no longer always able to respond alone to new global challenges such as climate change or international crime. The ESPOL MA is a two-year postgraduate degree organized around a core curriculum in the 1rst year (International Public Policy, Global Economic Governance, etc) followed by a specialization (2nd year) around two fields: Food policy and International Security Policy.
Food constitutes a major policy problem of our today’s world, be it in relation to food production, consumption, trade, nutrition, public health, environment, animal rights, culture, or social justice. Famines, various problems of over- and malnutrition, conflicts between states and/or enterprises, trade wars or various environmental and climate issues are all related to food and food policies. The conflicts around food issues emerge at different levels, from local and regional, to national, to international. In this array, it is particularly difficult to design food policy on various levels and among diverse actor groups and demands.
Analysis of the various interdependencies of arenas and actors is key to understanding the complexity of the field. This is why ESPOL has developed a partnership with an engineering school, the Institut Supérieur d’Agriculture (ISA) to offer students an innovative training programme pooling expertise in the fields of both global politics and food-related engineering. The Master specialisation in food policy will allow the students to acquire knowledge and competences in the field of food policy required for an occupational career in public and private organisations.
Armed conflicts, terrorism, climate change, epidemics, and international migrations are all crucial elements of international security policies. The regulation of these issues takes place beyond the authority of nation states and highlights the growing interdependence of actors in world politics. International Security indeed involves state institutions and international organisations, but also private actors like contractor companies and international financial firms. This specialization provides students with a multidisciplinary approach to international security policies.
– Advanced knowledge in policy-making
– Key areas expertise
– Career-oriented skills
– Fluency in 2 or 3 languages
1. Public administration at national and subnational level: ministries, regional and local authorities, but also other public administration agencies recruit experts in public policy;
2. International and European organisations: the European Union, the FAO, the OSCE or the European Environment Agency;
3. NGOs, Think Tanks, trade unions, interest groups and lobbies o en recruit experts with backgrounds in political science and international affairs;
4. Businesses are increasingly recruiting people qualified in international affairs ;
5. Academic career: students graduating from our MA can also access PhD programmes in order to pursue an academic career.
ESPOL offers a Programme in European Politics for international students.
This is an advanced programme focused on the regulation of contemporary societies in a globalised world. It addresses major political problems and explores the strategies implemented to resolve them. The instruction focuses on the regulation of international politics at the European and global levels, equipping students with the knowledge and skills required to understand and influence the world of tomorrow.
In the Programme in European Politics, all courses are taught in English and focused on the European Integration and Policy. In addition, students do a beginner, intermediate or advanced course in French at the Alliance Française.
The programme includes study trips to Brussels, Paris and other European cities. Students can choose to study at ESPOL during the autumn semester, the spring semester or for a whole year. Students receive a Certificate and 30 ECTS for one semester or 60 ECTS for a full year’s studies.
The Programme in European Politics is open to undergraduate and graduate students who wish to spend a semester or a year in one of the biggest French universities in order to develop their knowledge of European institutions and to learn French.
9,000 euros for one year – 5,500 euros for one semester (registration, courses, excursions, transcript and health insurance included).
This programme is open to undergraduate and graduate students. Students should send a copy of their most recent diploma, their academic transcript and a CV at espol(@)univ-catholille.fr
Please contact Oliwia Baran for details
American Politics L3
Atelier culture numérique L2
Atelier écriture journalistique L2
Atelier expression écrite L1
Atelier médiatraining L3
Atelier méthodologie de la note de synthèse L3
Conférences ESPOL-LAB (atelier sc po) L2
Dossier de recherche L3
Droit constitutionnel comparé L1
Droit et institutions politiques comparés L2
Droit international public L2
Environmental and sustainability policy L1
Epistémologie et méthodologie des sciences sociales L2
Ethics of Care L2
Ethique économique, sociale & politique L3
EU policy-making L3
European food policy M2
European Fundamental Rights & Freedom L3
European health policy L3
European literature L1
European social policies & europeanization of social policies L1
Food and sustainable development M2
From the World to the European Continent. Britain and France since the French Revolution L1
Geopolitics of food M1
German political system L2/3
Gouvernance économique européenne L3
Histoire de l’art L1
Histoire des idées politiques anciennes et modernes L1
Histoire des idées politiques contemporaines L2
History of European integration L1
History, Geography and Globalization L1
Interests representation & lobbying in EU L2
Introduction à l’économie L1
Introduction à la science politique L1
Introduction aux etudes de genre L1
Introduction aux relations internationales L1
Introduction to sociology L1
Introduction to the law and institutions of the European Union L1
L’écrivain et le politique
Les théories économiques dans l’histoire L2
Méthode statistique L1
Méthodes de la science politique
Méthodologie du travail intellectuel L1
Migrations & immigrations in Europe L2
Module métier du politique L1
Module métiers du politique L2
Musique et politique L2
New & social media in Europe L2
Opinion polling for political parties, government and media L1
Origines intellectuelles de la construction européenne L2
Partis politiques et systèmes partisans en Europe L1
Philosophy of Law L2
Political sociology L2
Political sociology of the economy L3
Politicas de America Latina L3
Politique et religion L2
Public policy L2
Questions économiques internationales L2
Sociologie des religions en Europe L2
Systema politico Italiano L3
Systèmes politiques comparés L3
Territorial Politics L3
Théories de la démocratie L1
Théories de la démocratie L2
Theories of European integration L2 L3
Theories of international relations L3